Spot The Warning Signs
Are you or someone you know being trafficked?
Is human trafficking happening in your community?
Knowing the red flags and indicators of human trafficking is a key step in identifying more victims and helping them find the assistance they need.
If you are concerned about possible trafficking in your area or about someone you know, the National Human Trafficking Hotline is available 24 hours a day to provide you information and where you can report tips. Call the hotline toll free at 1-888-373-7888.
COMMON WORK AND LIVING CONDITIONS
THE INDIVIDUAL(S) IN QUESTION:
- Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
- Is under 18 and is providing commercial sex acts
- Is in the commercial sex industry and has a pimp / manager
- Is unpaid, paid very little, or paid only through tips
- Works excessively long and/or unusual hours
- Is not allowed breaks or suffers under unusual restrictions at work
- Owes a large debt and is unable to pay it off
- Was recruited through false promises concerning the nature and conditions of his/her work
- High security measures exist in the work and/or living locations (e.g. opaque windows, boarded up windows, bars on windows, barbed wire, security cameras, etc.)
POOR MENTAL HEALTH OR ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR
- Is fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid
- Exhibits unusually fearful or anxious behavior after bringing up law enforcement
- Avoids eye contact
POOR PHYSICAL HEALTH
- Lacks health care
- Appears malnourished
- Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
LACK OF CONTROL
- Has few or no personal possessions
- Is not in control of his/her own money, no financial records, or bank account
- Is not in control of his/her own identification documents (ID or passport)
- Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present and/or translating)
- Claims of just visiting and inability to clarify where he/she is staying/address
- Lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or do not know what city he/she is in
- Loss of sense of time
- Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story